Assistant Editor, Historyhit.com (Maternity Cover – Fixed Term)
History Hit is the UK’s biggest digital history brand across Video on Demand, podcasts, social media and the web. Its website, historyhit.com, receives 1m sessions a month globally.
History Hit is part of Little Dot Studios, one of the world’s fastest growing next-generation media companies. Little Dot Studios’ digital history brands Timeline and Absolute History already generate more than 1m unique video views a day, with Timeline amassing 2m subscribers on YouTube alone.
We are looking for an experienced Assistant Editor to join our team who will participate in all stages of the publication processes. The Assistant Editor will assist the Head of Publishing in planning, production, execution and management of editorial output across all sections of the website. The role will include a range of administrative and editorial tasks including researching, planning and implementing editorial projects and alongside coordinating writers and editing written work.
This role is offered as a maternity cover fixed term contract starting in early August, of which we anticipate 9 months duration.
Location: Mix of home working and office based in Shoreditch, London.
- Assist the Head of Publishing to plan editorial content, set deadlines, manage content execution and team workloads accordingly
- Co-ordinate and commission freelance writers, interns and editorial assistants
- Research, create and publish articles
- Oversee editorial output via the content management system
- Maintain and update the editorial calendar working alongside other department documents as and when required
- Attend Editorial meetings and offer editorial support to Product, Marketing, sVOD, Podcast, Social Media, Marketing departments
- Transcribe interviews, as well as edit and optimise content
- Managerial tasks including invoice co-ordination
- Ensure editorial standards across all copy
- Proven experience working on a busy digital editorial team of a large consumer facing publishing website
- Proven ability to manage heavy workloads and prioritise appropriately
- SEO experience and expertise
- Expert level knowledge of WordPress or similar content management system
- Experience managing a network of writers and editors
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- BA degree in Journalism, English or a humanities subject
- Knowledge of cultural / travel trends and social movements, and the ability to harness their editorial instinct to pitch content that is ahead of the curve
- While we will review applications from different sectors, a professional background, particularly in history, is advantageous given subject matter
- Experience in planning, producing and execution of native/branded digital content for commercial partnerships
HOW TO APPLY
- PDF CV and cover letter
- Include your availability/notice period if applicable
Send to [email protected] with ‘Assistant Editor’ in subject line by 23 July 2021.