History Hit is the UK’s biggest digital history brand across Video on Demand, podcasts, social media and the web. Its website, historyhit.com, receives 1m sessions a month globally.
History Hit is part of Little Dot Studios, one of the world’s fastest growing next-generation media companies. Little Dot Studios’ digital history brands Timeline and Absolute History already generate more than 1m unique video views a day, with Timeline amassing 2m subscribers on YouTube alone.
We are looking for an Editor to oversee historyhit.com’s editorial output and growth. This is a varied senior role, with the Editor managing section writers and editors across historical editorial, gaming and travel, along with ensuring the promotion of other History Hit products within articles, social media and email.
- Based in: Shoreditch, London (including flexible working arrangements)
- Reports to: General Manager, History Hit
- Contract Type: Staff, full time
- Salary: Based on experience
- Managing the team and editorial output for Historyhit.com across history, travel and gaming
- Contribute to an overall brand tone of voice and maintaining this across editorial and social media
- Oversee content production for the History Hit Shop including photography and product descriptions
- Manage newsletter production and (with marketing) oversee schedule and copywriting for email promotion and social media
- Meet the audience objectives for historyhit.com, email subscription and social media set by the senior management team
- Manage freelance and production budget for written editorial and imagery
- Be the key History Hit stakeholder in other publishing opportunities, such as books
- Long term experience in a large consumer facing publishing website
- Experienced manager who is able to work on their own initiative
- Digital publishing expert – as comfortable editing digital media as the written word
- Strong understanding of digital publishing trends on websites and social media
- Knowledgeable about SEO and able to base practical decisions on analytics
- Expert level knowledge of WordPress or similar content management system
- Practical knowledge of Information Architecture and User Experience
- Experience managing a network of writers and editors
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Entrepreneurial – ability to see opportunity and execute to take advantage quickly
- Understanding of the heritage and related education sectors
- Development team / agency briefing experience for new product features
- While we will review applications from different sectors, a humanities degree or professional background, particularly in history, is advantageous given subject matter
How to Apply
Include your availability/notice period if applicable
Send to [email protected] with “History Editor” in subject line.
Not accepting submissions from search firms or recruiters.
We regret that we will unfortunately not be able to offer feedback on unsuccessful applications.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce at all levels of Little Dot Studios, and to being a business and working environment that encourages and values all voices. Our staff are the foundation of Little Dot, and we’re committed to ensuring every employee, and in particular those from underrepresented groups, experiences Little Dot as an inclusive workplace. Little Dot Studios who would like to actively encourage candidates from all backgrounds and demographics to apply.