About German El Alamein Cemetery
The German El Alamein Cemetery is the final resting place of 4,200 German soldiers who died in the Battle of El Alamein. This battle, part of the World War II North Africa Campaign, took place in 1942 and was a major victory for the Allies against the German and Italian forces, ending their presence in Egypt.
History of German El Alamein Cemetery
The Battle of El Alamein in Egypt was the site a major victory by the Allied forces during the Second World War, known as the Second Battle of El-Alamein. Over three years, Allied and Axis forces engaged in an ongoing conflict in the North African region, with Germany’s commander, Rommel, intent on capturing Alexandria and the Suez Canal.
The victory at El Alamein Battlefield was a vital turning point for the Allies, summarised succinctly by Winston Churchill: “It may almost be said, Before Alamein we never had a victory. After Alamein we never had a defeat.”
German El Alamein Cemetery today
The German El Alamein Cemetery is quite different from the other cemeteries in the area as it is built to look like a fortress.
Getting to German El Alamein Cemetery
Alamein is a village, bypassed by the main coast road, approximately 130 kilometres west of Alexandria on the road to Mersa Matruh. The first Commission road direction sign is located just beyond the Alamein police checkpoint and all visitors should turn off from the main road onto the parallel old coast road. The cemetery lies off the road, slightly beyond a ridge. The Cross of Sacrifice feature may be seen from the road.