About Bramall Hall
Bramall Hall is a Tudor Manor House in Stockport, Greater Manchester with origins dating back to the Middle ages.
Bramall Hall history
Before the Norman Conquest in 1066, Bramall was held as two separate manors, owned by two Saxon freemen Brun and Hacun. Around 1070 William the Conqueror subdued the North of England. He gave both parts of the Bramall land to Hamon de Masci, the first Baron of Dunham Massey. In the next 800 years the estate was owned by only three families, the de Bromales, the de Davenports who succeeded the de Bromales by marriage and the Nevills who were the first owners to purchase the estate.
Bramhall Park was created as we know it today by Sir Charles Nevill during the late 1890’s as part of an extensive programme of improvements to the Hall’s interior and grounds.
Charles Nevill commissioned a local designer and architect to assist him called George Faulkner Armitage. Armitage had eclectic ideas when it came to his designs and was inspired by the Arts and crafts movement. The influence of such is clearly evident in Bramall Hall today. Pioneered by Ruskin and William Morris, it is recognisable by its simplicity of form, organic motives, honesty and functionality.
Neville also made additions and changes to the architecture of the magnificent black and white timber-framed Tudor manor house. The manor house sits in its elevated position at the centre of the park.
Bramall Hall is one of Cheshire’s grandest black and white timber-framed buildings and is built in the traditional local style. The framework is constructed with oak timbers, joined together using mortise and tenon joints and held in place with oak pegs. Wattle and daub or lath and plaster were used to fill the spaces between the timbers.
Bramall Hall today
Bramall Hall reopened in 2016 after a large scale restoration project supported by a £1.6m grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The house and grounds are open to visitors free of charge.
Dramatic improvements were made to the historic rooms.
The impressive plaster ceiling in the Withdrawing Room has been repaired and re-painted objects and items of furniture have been conserved.
A major building development converted the rundown and under-used stable block into a gift-shop, small visitor centre and classroom. There is also a new modern cafe on site.
Getting to Bramall Hall
The park is 4 miles south of Stockport, off the A5102. There are two car parks on site which charge a fee.