About Burton Agnes Hall and Gardens
Burton Agnes Hall is an Elizabethan stately home with award-wining gardens, set in East Yorkshire, England.
History of Burton Agnes Hall and Gardens
The origins of the estate can be traced back to 1173, when Roger de Stuteville built a Norman manor house on the site, part of which still stands today. The newer, larger hall of Burton Agnes was built by Sir Henry Griffith in the early 17th century, based on designs that were thought to have come from Robert Smythson, an architect.
Throughout its history, Burton Agnes Hall has never been sold, only passed between families at points. After various generations of the Boynton family lived in the house, Cicely Boynton inherited Burton Agnes in the 20th century, before it was passed on to one of her sons, Marcus Wickham-Boynton, who was High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1953. He began undertaking major restoration of the property and bringing in various pieces of fine art, and in 1977 he passed Burton Agnes Hall to the Burton Agnes Preservation Trust, a registered charity that helps look after the property, although it is still used as an active residence.
The gardens also date back to Elizabethan times. One of the most notable features, the walled garden, fell out of use in the second half of the 20th century, before being restored in 1990 by Susan Cunliffe-Lister, whose family had recently begun living in Burton Agnes Hall. A mix of Elizabethan and modern styles and designs were used to bring the gardens back to life.
Burton Agnes Hall and Gardens today
As well as thousands of species of plant, the walled garden holds many hidden horticultural treasures, including a maze constructed from yew trees, games such as chess (on a giant chessboard), and a ‘jungle garden’ featuring bamboo and large shrubs, plus fruit and vegetables (look out for asparagus, artichokes, and rhubarb). There’s also a much-loved elephant fountain sculpture which squirts water. The grounds also house a mile-long woodland walk and arboretum.
Getting to Burton Agnes Hall and Gardens
Driffield rail station is five miles from Burton Agnes, and a direct bus operates from outside the station to the hall. By car, the estate is located on the A614 York to Bridlington road between Bridlington and Driffield. There are also bus services to Burton Agnes Hall from Bridlington, Driffield, Beverley, Scarborough, Hull and York.