About Château d’Angles-sur-l’Anglin
The Château d’Angles-sur-l’Anglin is a ruined castle in
the commune of Angles-sur-l’Anglin in the Vienne département of
France. It dates originally from the 12th century, with significant alterations
and additions in the 15th century.
ruin is open to the public during normal hours at a cost of 6€. A self-guided
tour provides several informative kiosks along the way in both French and
A motte was
here before the present castle. The earliest records date from 1025. The keep and
vault were constructed in the 12th century. In the 15th century, the keep was
altered for bishop Hugues de Combarel who also built the new castle. Guillaume
de Charpagne, his successor, continued the work.
has been listed since 1926 as a monument historique by
the French Ministry of Culture.