About Curton Castle
Château de Curton is a castle located in the region Entre-Deux-Mers in the department of Gironde in the commune of Daignac. The castle is situated on the edge of the town of Tizac-Curton, which takes its name from the first Seigneurs (lords) of Curton.
The earliest member of the Curton family documented in official texts is Raimond de Curton appearing in the 11th century, appearing as a Lord from the beginning of the 12th century. From the end of the 12th century, Regin de Curton made ties with the English Royal Family, signing a treaty in London. In the 13th century, the Curton Castle and its Lord, Amanieu de Curton appear in the records.
At the beginning of the 15th century, some sources state that the Lords of Curton went to England and are related to the present Cureton family. The Château de Curton became the property of Louis de Beaumont before being captured by the French and was given to Jacques de Chabannes, Lord of Lapalice, who died in his new castle after becoming wounded at the Battle of Castillon.
Château de Curton remained the property of the Family Chabannes de Lapalice. In 1563, Curton Castle was made a marquisat for François de Chabannes. The castle was confiscated during the French Revolution and sold as national property to Citizen Rabeau. From this time, it was passed on through successive sales and weddings.
Since 1926, Château de Curton has been registered as a French National Monument. It is private property.