About Dieppe Castle
Dieppe Castle is a medieval fortress located in the French town of Dieppe, Normandy. The original castle was founded in 1188 and destroyed just a few years later in 1195. The site was restored in the 14th century and was later in large part reconstructed in 1433 by Charles des Marets.
The castle is composed of a quadrangular enclosure with round flanking towers and a lower court adjacent. The large west tower dates perhaps from the 14th century and served as the keep. Several architectural styles are represented, and flint and sandstone are used in the buildings. A brick bastion and various other buildings have been added to the original enclosure.
It was bought by the town in 1903 and today is home to the Dieppe museum. The castle offers a panoramic view over the town and the coast.
The Castle of Conches-en-Ouche is a ruined fortress in Normandy which was largely demolished in the 16th century. The castle was classified as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture in 1886.
The Château de Colombières is a medieval castle built during the 14th century in Colombières, Calvados, Normandy.
Chateau de Gisors is a castle in the town of Gisors in Normandy, France. The castle was a key fortress of the Dukes of Normandy in the 11th and 12th centuries. It was intended to defend the Anglo-Norman Vexin territory from the King of France.
Domfront Castle is a ruined medieval fortress in Normandy, France. The ruins include the castle keep, the enceinte, ramparts, towers, casemates and the former Sainte-Catherine et Saint-Symphorien chapels.
Just as empires rise and fall so do entry fees and opening hours! While we work as hard as we can to ensure the information provided here about Dieppe Castle is as accurate as possible, the changing nature of certain elements mean we can't absolutely guarantee that these details won't become a thing of the past. If you know of any information on this page that needs updating you can add a comment above or e-mail us.