About Lagorce Castle
The 14th century Château Lagorce is a former castle, converted into a château, in the commune of Haux in the département of Gironde, France. It acquired its name ‘Lagorce’ or ‘The Great Gorce’, from a type of vegetation which appeared at the beginning of the 16th century.
According to a document from the 18th century, the château originally had a moat. The oldest tower has walls 1.2 meters thick, and both of these features helped it to defend itself, as it became embroiled in feudal wars during the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries. The residence was partly destroyed during the latter of these centuries.
In the 15th century it changed hands with regularity as marriages took place.
In 1636 it was owned by Menaud de Maonaudon, married to Marguerite de Cursol. At the time of their installation at Lagorce, they accomplished major work on the property. However, their signature is preserved in a key-stone in the form of a coat-of-arms uniting the Montaudon and Cursol family.
After the French Revolution in 1793, Francois Galatheau sold Lagorce to Hyacinthe Feger, whose nephew resold the property in 1802 ‘in a very bad state.’
In the early 2000s the building underwent complete internal renovation to how it would have looked a few hundred years ago.