About Pisa Cathedral Complex
The Pisa Cathedral Complex, known simply as Cathedral Square (Piazza del Duomo), houses one of the world’s most celebrated ecclesiastical landscapes. In addition to the cathedral itself, the Pisa Cathedral Complex includes a church, a baptistery, a cemetery and one very famous campanile or bell tower – better known as the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
While its leaning tower may have stolen the spotlight somewhat, the Pisa Cathedral Complex is exceptional in its own right, having been described by UNESCO as "an outstanding example of medieval Christian architecture."
It was in 1063 that construction of Pisa Cathedral began and it was completed in the thirteenth century. Meanwhile, its other elements were built between the 11th and 14th centuries.
In the 16th century, a 19 year old Galileo made a particularly important discovery inside Pisa Cathedral. The movement of the cathedral’s chandelier inspired his theory of isochronism of small oscillations. The complex further contributed to the history of science by acting as a forum for some of his experiments.
Another name often given to the Pisa Cathedral Complex is Piazza dei Miracoli (Miracle Square).