About The Ex-Convent of San Agustin
El Templo y Ex-Convento de San Agustin is a sixteenth century historic church and former convent in the village of Acolman, close to Mexico City.
Begun by Fray Andres de Olmos in 1524, the convent was ceded to the Augustinian order in 1536: the building was complete by 1560. The site was part of a mass scale attempts to convert indigenous populations to Catholicism, and remains an important monument to these attempts.
The convent was flooded several times in the 17th and 18th century by water from the nearby Lake Texcoco, and the site was abandoned shortly afterwards by the friars as the constant loss of work as a result was a source of frustration.
For much of the 19th century, the complex was mostly under a thick layer of mud: it was only in 1920 that the Mexican General Inspection of Artistic and Historical Monuments decided to rescue the site and turn it into a museum: a wide variety of pre-Hispanic and Christian items are on display, and the murals remain a particular draw for many.
Before You Go
The convent is close to the site of Teotihuacan: many visitors combine the two.