About St Andrews Town Hall
St Andrews Town Hall is a civic and legislative building located at Queen’s Gardens in the centre of St Andrews.
The Royal Burgh of St Andrews Community Council meet on the first Monday of the month in the Council Chamber of the Town Hall, forming the lowest tier of governance whose statutory role is to communicate local opinion to local and central government.
St Andrews Town Hall history
Built between 1858 and 1862 from the designs of Mr. James A Hamilton, of Edinburgh (best known for his work as principal clerk on the National Gallery of Scotland), St Andrews Town Hall’s structure was in an old Scotch baronial style, and along with the bold and picturesque effect of the style it combined all the convenience and appliances of contemporary art.
The new Town Hall replaced the old town house and tolbooth in Market Street. The new building included a council room, a police station and a public hall with retiring rooms.
In more recent years, Fife Council, the unitary local authority for St Andrews who are the deliberative and legislative body responsible for local governance meet in the Town Hall regularly.
The Town Hall today
As well as being a Fife Council-run building, St Andrews Town Hall is the office base of Fife Contemporary Art and Craft. Two halls that can be hired for functions and events.
Fife Contemporary Art and Craft share the foyer space and host occasional displays of project outcomes, as well as information (posters & leaflets) about arts events.
Getting to St Andrews Town Hall
Located in the centre of town, St Andrews Town Hall grand architecture is hard to miss. When following the main road (A918) through the centre of the town towards the Cathedral, simply take a right onto Queen’s Gardens and the Town Hall will be immediately visible.
There is on-street parking across the town. Wherever you end up parking, the Town Hall will be no longer than a 5 or 10 minute walk away.