About Torre del Reloj de Cartagena
Torre del Reloj de Cartagena (The Clock Tower of Cartagena) was built over the course of thurty years – from 1601 to 1631 – and became the main entrance to the city. At the time, it was known as the Boca del Puente – the Mouth of the Bridge – as it connected Getsemani to the Old City.
There have been several additions and alterations to Torre del Reloj de Cartagena. Its Baroque façade and Tuscan arches date back to 1704, when Torre del Reloj was rebuilt after its partial destruction in 1697 by the baron of Pointis. Meanwhile its original weapons room and chapel were replaced, first by a pendulum clock in 1874 and then its current Swiss clock in 1937. Following a restoration completed in 1888, Torre del Reloj de Cartagena now has eight sides, giving it a gothic look.