About Castillo de Chapultepec
Chapultepec Castle is an eighteenth century building in Mexico City’s Chapultepec Park now containing Mexico’s National History Museum (Museo Nacional de Historia).
Original construction of Chapultepec Castle began in 1785, but it was only completed after Mexico achieved independence and later refurbished as the home of Emperor Maximilian of Habsburg in 1864, before becoming the residence of Mexico’s presidents in 1882. It remains one of two palaces in North America.
In 1939, the then President Lazaro Cardenas declared Chapultepec would become a National History Museum. Today, it retains this purpose, although some rooms have been preserved as they would have been when the Castle was a presidential residence.
The Castle has sweeping views over the whole city, and is worth visiting for these alone.
Within its twelve halls, Mexico’s National History Museum charts the country’s diverse history, from the Pre-Hispanic era through to Spanish colonialism, Mexico’s revolution and its independence. Some of the National History Museum’s most significant exhibitions include the sword wielded by independence fighter José María Morelos in the Siege of Cuautla in 1812 as well as several murals depicting famous battles.
The Castle has sweeping views over the whole city, and is worth visiting for these alone. The park below is often busy, especially at weekends.
Chapultepec Castle features as one of our Top 10 Mexican Tourist Attractions.