About Vaillac Castle
The Château de Vaillac is a castle in the former commune of Vaillac, now part of Cœur-de-Causse, in the Lot département of France.
History of Vaillac Castle
The castle was built during the 13th century and was recorded during the Hundred Years’ War. It then went to ruin.
In 1597, Anne de Montberon, lady of Vaillac, rebuilt the castle from its ruins, with decorations ordered from Mathieu Jacquet de Grenoble, sculptor to the King, suggesting that its rebuilding was grand and extensive.
The castle has five circular towers, one of which, in the centre of the façade, contains the staircase. The corps de logis includes a square keep. The eastern side has two half height corner towers.
A square bastion overlooking the village contains a chapel. Along one side, vaulted stables could accommodate 500 horses. Internally, there are monumental chimneys and French ceilings with traces of decorative painting.
Vaillac Castle today
The present building contains elements from the 14th, 15th, 16th, and 17th centuries.
The Château de Vaillac is privately owned and is generally not open to the public, though there are reports online that it is occasionally opened. It has been classified since 1958 as a ‘monument historique’ by the French Ministry of Culture.
Also worth visiting in the area is Église Saint-Julien, a 14th-15th century church which is essential for anyone interested in the religious history of both the area and further afield.
Getting to Vaillac Castle
Vaillac is a tiny village, with 94 people being recorded as living there in 2007, and half of the homes there being second homes. From the centre of Toulouse, it is reachable in around an hour and 45 minutes to two hours via the A20 road. From Bordeaux, it takes around three hours via the A89 road, and from Montpelier it takes around 3 and a half hours via the A75 road.