About Passchendaele New British Cemetery
Passchendaele New British Cemetery is a World War One graveyard and memorial site in the town of Zonnebeke, Belgium, near the battlefield of Passchendaele. The Battle of Passchendaele was a fierce conflict in the First World War and part of the Battle of Ypres.
History of Passchendaele New British Cemetery
Towards the end of 1914, Passchendaele was briefly under Allied occupation, but only shortly later it was in German hands where it remained for the next three years. Towards the end of 1917, after severe fighting in unfavourable weather, a Canadian Infantry took the village as part of the Second Battle of Passchendaele, the last of the Battle of Ypres, 1917. In 1918, in the course of the Allied offensive in Flanders, Belgian forces recaptured the village. The fighting over the territory was some of the most bloody of the whole of the First World War.
Comprised of three levels and designed by Charles Holden, Passchendaele New British Cemetery was founded following the Armistice. It was populated by graves from both Passchendaele and Langemarck and today acts as the final resting place of 2,101 Allied soldiers, most of whom are unidentified. Almost all of the burials are from the autumn of 1917.
Passchendaele New British Cemetery today
Managed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Passchendaele New British Cemetery also has numerous First World War memorials. 1,600 of the graves are unidentified but there are special memorials to seven casualties believed to be buried among them.
Getting to Passchendaele New British Cemetery
Passchendaele (Passendale) New British Cemetery lies 10.5 Kms north-east of Ieper town centre on the S’Graventafelstraat, a road leading from St Jan to Passendale. 4 Kms along the ‘S Graventafelstraat, and after passing the New Zealand Memorial, lies the cemetery on the left hand side of the road. There are also a number of public transport options which stop at Passendale Plaats, after which the site is a 10 minute walk site.
For wheelchair access between the levels there are grassed ramps to the right of the cemetery, near the wall. Wheelchair users can enter the cemetery via a service entrance situated to the left of the main entrance.