About Plaza de Mayo
Plaza de Mayo is famous and politically significant square in Argentina’s capital, Buenos Aires. Established in 1580 and once known as Plaza de la Victoria, it was renamed as Plaza de Mayo in the nineteenth century following the May Revolution.
Plaza de Mayo literally means “May Plaza”, a reference to the site’s importance during the May Revolution. This revolution was made up of a series of peaceful events mostly in 1810, one of which took place at Plaza de Mayo, following which the Argentineans elected their first local government not allocated by Spain.
Plaza de Mayo also contains the May Pyramid, a statue commemorating the May Revolution and Argentina’s independence from Spain, installed in 1811.
Overall, Plaza de Mayo is an important focal point for political life in Argentina and is where most of its political institutions are housed, including the Casa Rosada from which Eva Peron or “Evita” addressed the people and city hall. The Metropolitan Cathedral of Buenos Aires can also be found here.