About Trencin Castle
Trencin Castle (Trenciansky hrad) is a dramatic cliff-top castle above the Vah River, not far from the Slovakian capital, Bratislava, which held royal status from the 11th century. It was also at this time that the main current castle was built.
The first buildings on the site date from the Romanesque period, although most of the buildings are Gothic. The most famous master of the castle was Matus Cak (also given as Csak, the Hungarian spelling), a nobleman with considerable holdings in western Slovakia in the late 13th and early 14th centuries, known as Lord of the Vah and the Tatras.
Trencin Castle and the town were heavily damaged by fire in the late 18th century, and in 1905 the castle was donated to the city.
The long tour takes visitors through three of the palaces of Trencin Castle and includes galleries of art collected by the castle’s owners and portraits of the family members, arms and armour, and ruins of the oldest tower on the site and skeletons found there. Visitors must join a tour to see the castle, and English-speaking guides are available.
During the summer months, there may be activities on the castle grounds, such as archery and commemorative coin striking. Trencin Castle also hosts evening visits for special occasions.
On the cliff face below the castle is a Roman inscription dating from 179AD. The Hotel Tatra was built in front of the cliff, with a window allowing visitors to see the inscription. As of spring 2011, the hotel is undergoing a complete interior renovation and therefore the inscription is not able to be viewed. There is a replica in the castle, though.