About Austerlitz Battlefield
Austerlitz Battlefield was the site of the Battle of Austerlitz, also known as the Battle of the Three Emperors, which took place on 2 December 1805 and saw Napoleon Bonaparte’s army decisively defeat the combined forces of the Russian and Austrian empires.
As a resut of the Battle of Austerlitz, the Third Coalition against the French Empire, an alliance between, amongst others, Great Britain, Austria and Russia was disbanded. Austria was forced to sign the Treaty of Pressburg and Russia to retreat to its own territory.
Austerlitz Battlefield itself is today dominated by the Cairn of Peace (located on the map), a monument commemorating the war. Visitors to Austerlitz Battlefield can view the area and gain an understanding of the landscape occupied by the opposing armies on the day of the battle.
The best views can be seen from the numerous surrounding hills which defined the Austerlitz Battlefield including Zuran, from where Napoleon commanded his tactical success, the Pratzen Heights and Santon. Numerous plaques and information boards showing the military campaign are located in the surrounding area.
The Cairn of Peace has an adjoining chapel and a museum, allowing visitors to the Austerlitz Battlefield to view multimedia displays and exhibits about the battle, including the background and the aftermath. Exhibits are available in English, Czech, German, French and Russian.
Once a year, thousands of history enthusiasts descend on Austerlitz Battlefield to re-enact the conflict.