About Malbork Castle
Malbork Castle (Zamek w Malborku), known in German as the Marienburg, is actually more of a medieval fortified castle complex enclosed within thick walls. Including a vast palace, a monastery, three castles and hundreds of other buildings – mostly homes – Malbork Castle was built in the thirteenth century by the invading Teutonic Knights. This German Roman Catholic order, who were founded in the Middle East, went on crusades throughout the Baltic region.
In 1309, Malbork Castle became the headquarters of the Teutonic Knights, a role which it fulfilled until the demise of the order in the early fifteenth century. In 1466, Malbork Castle became one of the homes of the Polish monarchy.
Today, the restored Malbork Castle is a UNESCO World Heritage site and a museum in northern Poland, displaying medieval works, weaponry and historic displays including exploring the history of the Teutonic Knights. Touring this beautiful redbrick building with its magnificent rooms is a great day trip from Gdansk.