About The Yeha Temple
The Yeha Temple, also known as the Great Temple of Yeha, is possibly the oldest standing building in Ethiopia, dating back, it is thought, to around 700 BC. It harks back to the earliest religions of the area and contains some Judaic artefacts, perhaps giving some credence to claim of the early dynasty of their descent from King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.
It is also thought that the Yeha Temple was used in the sixth century AD as a Christian church, a theory which would explain its good state of preservation. A remarkable aspect of the Yeha Temple is that it was constructed without the use of mortar.
Other places of interest at Yeha include a burial ground and ruined buildings containing, amongst other things, some interesting square columns. There have been some archaeological digs in the area, dating back to the early 1950’s