Lankatilaka Vihara | Attraction Guides | History Hit

Lankatilaka Vihara

26th Mile Post, North Central Province, Sri Lanka

About Lankatilaka Vihara

Lankatilaka Vihara was a large sacred building known as a “gedige” in the medieval city of Polonnaruwa which would be used to house images of Buddha. One such impressive sculpture of Buddha remains in the ruins of Lankatilaka, albeit without its head.

The Lankatilaka Vihara is believed to have been built during the reign of Parakramabahu (1153-1186) and to have been restored by Vijayabahu IV (1513-21).