About Raseborg Castle
Raseborg Castle (Raaseporin Linna) is a ruined medieval castle in southern Finland first mentioned in writing in 1378. It is believed that Raseborg Castle was built by Bo Joninpoika Grip – who was the royal council leader of Magnus IV of Sweden – in 1370. It is thought that it underwent construction up to the 16th century.
History of Raseborg Castle
Raseborg Castle was intended to defend the then Swedish territory, Southern Finland. Constructed as the administrative centre of Western Uusimaa to keep watch over the shipping and trade in the Gulf of Finland, it would go on to be the focal point of clashes with the Danes as well as pirates.
At the time of its construction, Raseborg Castle would have bordered the sea, however, dropping sea levels have rendered it land-locked and it now perches dramatically atop a set of rocks. It was also this increasing distance from the sea, together with the founding of Helsinki in 1550, which is said to have contributed to the eventual abandonment of Raseborg Castle in 1558.
The castle lay abandoned for more than 300 years, until the first restoration began in the 1880s.
Raseborg Castle Today
Today, visitors to Raseborg Castle can see its restored outer wall as well as its other ruins, including those of a wooden barrier which once encircled the castle, stopping entrance to the harbour to foreign ships. Guided tours are also available.
Midsummer celebrations, ancient markets, medieval events, high-class concerts, and theatrical performances in Swedish are organised at Raseborg every summer. The restaurant and café Slottsknektens stuga serves local food throughout the summer, and upon request during the winter.
Raseborg Castle also features as one of our Top 10 Visitor Attractions in Finland.
Getting to Raseborg Castle
From the city of Turku, the castle is reachable in around an hour and 45 minutes via E18 and Route 52. There are a number of public transport options available which are fairly tricky but take around 2 hours. By bus, stop at the Raaseporin linnanrauniot stop, and walk around 6 minutes to the castle ruins.